My first public comments out here – into this connected new world!

What is it that I really want to say?  What is it that I really believe in? Having been in education for a long time, I have had to reinvent myself so many times – as a teacher! I would certianly say that those reinventions have really put me in good stead to be able to say, “I really have and do focus on the learning.”  I graduated as a Commerce teacher (and Geography teacher) quite a number of years ago – Yes, shorthand, typing, Business Principles, and ….  well, need I say more?

Now, I teach kids, not subjects! But of course, I do this through English, Study of Society, Religious Education, Business and Technology  ….. You could say, that my whole career has been one of adapting, upskilling, staying abreast of the changes and changing! Now, even my current role as an educator (Coordinator of Teaching and Learning), is simply all about learning.

How can we best do this for the students that we serve? 

Middle Years of schooling principles and philosophies have been my driving force – and now, as we continue through this century and time of connectedness, these principles and philosophies have taken on new meaning, or a more advanced meaning. In a sense, they have been reinforced and validated, if you like. When I read the various tweets by many leaders in our field and listen to the greats, like Sir Ken Robinson, it is clear that we need to engage our learners in design, in creativity, in problem solving; using the tools that we have available to us in this digital age. We must provide them with real life journeys for today’s world. We are not preparing them for the 21st century- we are in it! Our kids are living it and we must be responsible and accountable for that.  This IS what middle schooling philosophies have always been about! About ensuring that what we do with our kids (and for them) is relevant, appropriate, challenging, motivating and that all are able to feel a sense of achievement.  That it is student centered, not test driven; that it might be flipped; that it is inquiry based and project based; that we use the appropriate tools for the appropriate task and allow for creativity…..

And so, I continue the learning curve that is education (that is life really), and I take on this challenge of connectedness – I  tweet, I facebook, I own an iPad, a smart phone and I connect with those of you who are also out there.  Our learning community is growing, and it excites me.

So, as my first blog, I probably haven’t really said anything too awe-inspiring, but I think that the point is – the learning. To be able to connect with people on a global scale is so valuable. To have it all at our finger tips is and must be capitalised on in all of our schools, everywhere.

I am so priveleged to have what I do, and be where I am today. I want to stay connected and continue to offer my students and my learning community all that I can as I continue on this journey…..

Debra

Find me on twitter: @debraway

2 thoughts on “My first public comments out here – into this connected new world!

1. Welcome to the blogosphere! It’s great to have another Aussie blogging about Middle Years content.
    I’m looking forward to reading…
    David