Professional Learnings and Reflections

Learning Spaces – “Learning is a Tour” Highlights of Learning spaces from Sydney Study Tour

ALWAYS LEARNING…..

Always questioning and learning

Always questioning and learning

Reflecting on our practice is an essential element for us as learners, particularly  if we wish to become better at our craft.  So, learning is probably the single most important focus for us as teachers.  We must continuously build on and add to our own professional toolbox.  If we ever think that we are there, then, I believe it is time for us to step aside.  I find I am challenged every single day, by my colleagues and particularly by my students to do more. Not that what I am doing is not good (or at least I trust that notion), but  I feel, like many of us, that I have not achieved if there is still an element of doubt.  It isn’t that the questions have to be answered, on the contrary; I think that it is more important that we are left with a question or questions, that will lead us to the next learning opportunity.

I was reminded of this today at our staff meeting, where we examined a rubric (school based and developed), aligning to our National Professional Standards, that will provide us with explicit opportunity to improve the work we do as we engage professionally with teams.  Something that hit me as being central to this process of evaluating and appraising is the need for communication; the need to model communication effectively and with integrity and the need to be honest with that communication and honest with and within oneself.

So, my starting point will always be – what is it that I can do better?  That is where I am going to sit with my practice each day.

I have begun embarking on that journey, one that will continue.

TWO PIVOTAL LEARNING EXPERIENCES FOR ME IN 2013

Sir Ken Speaks at Edutech 2013

Sir Ken Speaks at Edutech 2013

Two recent events that have proven to be inspiring and rewarding learning for me and my colleagues This year have enabled me to hear some exciting and dare I say “famous” educational speakers from around the world, as well as visit some innovative leaders and thinkers in our own backyard.

Firstly, the EduTech Conference, featuring names such as Daniel Pink, Ewen Mcintosh, Alan November, Stephen Heppell and Sir Ken Robinson- these are just the headliners. So many motivating and affirming educators speaking about all things learning.  To be inspired and motivated by people who have done the research and walk the talk, really provides you with the energy and passion to want to do all in your power to ensure your own students are being provided the utmost possibilities to achieve.   This conference allowed me to stand up and take on some great ideas.  There will be numerous benefits in store for my students and colleagues alike.  Visit my storify for the highlights:

My Storify – Edutech Conference 2013

The other experience – a study tour organised by me and another of my colleagues. We visited five schools, each with specific innovative practices in place; with innovative and passionate leaders and educators – their focus on creating meaningful and engaging learning communities within their own contexts.  Our focus to learn as much as we could in order to improve the learning environment for our community.  Whilst we know that we are on the right journey, we also understand the importance of continually upgrading and the concept of taking risks to assist those opportunities of learning of all of our students is something we are prepared and willing to do.

The highlights of this tour can be followed in the link to my Storify below.  I trust it will promote discussion:

My Storify – Sydney Study Tour 2013

Stairs of Learning

Stairs of Learning